Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Looking Inward

It is sometimes so easy to forget that long before we were there were others--others who found the Other and spent a lifetime seeking to become One with the Other they found.  I was reminded of that this evening as I read a selection from Scott Cairns' Love's Immensity: Mystics on the Endless Life.

I invite you to do as I have been doing for the past hour . . . pray . . . meditate . . . move toward the Other.

O Lord and Master of my life,
remove from me this languid spirit,
this grim demeanor, this petty
lust for power, and all this empty talk.
Endow thy servant, instead,
with a chaste spirit, humble
heart, longsuffering gentleness,
and genuine, unselfish love.

Yes, O Lord and King, grant
that I may confront my own offenses,
and remember not to judge my brother.
For You are--always and forever--blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment