Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sisters and Brothers


In Victor Hugo’s novel, Les Misérables, Bishop Myriel came to be known as Bishop Welcome because of his openness to those he served.  One night he welcomed a visitor named Jean Valjean, a man just released from 19 years in prison.  Jean Valjean walked into town and sought food and lodging at two different inns only to be turned away because of what he was—a newly released prisoner identified by the “yellow passport” he was required to show “at the town-hall.”  He tried local residences with similar lack of luck. 

At last Jean Valjean came to the residence of the bishop, a residence that did not look all that auspicious because the bishop had chosen to live a most modest life.  This is also why Jean Valjean did not know that his about-to-be host was a bishop.  He was invited to share the bishop’s table and had been offered a bed for the night.  Since Jean Valjean had not hidden his identity to the bishop, he was amazed at the hospitality shown him and expressed such.  The bishop replied:

“You could not help telling me who you were.  This is not my house; it is the house of Jesus Christ.  This door does not demand on him who enters whether he has a name, but whether he has a grief.  You suffer, you are hungry and thirsty; you are welcome.  And do not thank me; do not say that I receive you in my house.  No one is at home here, except the man who needs a refuge.  I say to you, who are passing by, that you are much more at home here than I am myself.  Everything here is yours.  What need have I to know your name? Besides before you told me you had one which I knew.”

The man opened his eyes in astonishment.

“Really? You knew what I was called?”

“Yes,” replied the Bishop, “you are called my brother.” –pp. 66-67 Kindle Version

Hospitality in the name of Jesus is at the core of what it means to be his follower.

No comments:

Post a Comment